Monday 24 October 2011

Sanity... and how to fucking keep it.

My Bike. Thats how.

My shit year just got shitter on Saturday with the death of my eldest brother. Holding someone's hand while they breathe their last is not nice, and I've done it twice this year with my Mum passing in February. Naturally, was utterly pissed off on Saturday night, but Sunday dawned a bit bleak but dry. Nothing was going to stop me getting out.

Up Horrocks Fold to Burnt Edge and down the Hole in't wall. Bit slippery, but I was riding at a reflective pace, just happy to be out in the savage wind. Up onto the Pike for the first time in ages and then blasted back down. Passed a group of about 6 Jocksters and got totally blanked when I offered a cheery "morning". Fucking ignorant cunts. Riding on my land, without my permission and then completely ignore a greeting from a fellow biker. Fuck you.

Battered down the ICR and then straight back up through the gardens, my faith in humanity restored with many "hello's" to walkers and some MRT guys who were practicing S&R in Catter Nab Gulley.

At the top I did think about going up the hill and down San Marino, but it was so great being out in daylight that I extended the ride. Piss Poor to Sheep Houses got covered in mud descending the quarry to Belmont... fucking brilliant. I then took the Dam over Belmont Res and couldnt believe the amount of work that they have done on the new overflow... massive scheme. Not surprised they were there for so long.

Went past all the Bummers at Blow Job, there were loads of guys milling around just in the woods at the Gayby, must be something in the air.

I took the roller coaster through the forest, bloody hard work going in the opposite direction as it has a couple of proper steep climbs. Grabbed a bench at the memorial forest and had a few minutes of contemplation, remembering some of the good times with our kid. Witton Weavers, golf course and tip, then Higher Ridings got me home. A wonderful wonderful ride out and just what I needed. What I would ever do without my bike I just dont know.

Steven John Lowe 27th Feb 1960 - 22nd Oct 2011 RIP.

1 comment:

Donk said...

Downer, shit year for sure, but not long to go now and one to chalk up to history. Keep your chin up and keep riding.