Friday 25 March 2011

Never too old to learn.

Thursday night ride. This time with a working bike. Still not got my brake back from Hope (my fault) but Weesters XT is working a treat. Good turn out tonight with Me, Toss, Weester, Wors and Wors's mate, Graham.

Up through Horrocks fold, Ciggy tunnel, Forest and then Burnt edge via the steps. I though we were doing the Kennels, but the pub was calling so Jay and Weest took us toward their new track. Down Coal pit was ACE. Dry fast rutted descent, we were flying down it. At the bottom we headed over to Dean Mills Res, this path has been upgraded since I last came along it last year and is now paved initially and then stoned up right to the Res. Here, Graham took a big old fall dropping off the res wall and must have landed about 20' from where he fell off. Large amount of claret from his leg, but, being the big hard bastard that he is, he merely laughed it off. I suspect I'd have been in A&E in tears had it been me.

Here, rather than drop to Coal Pit, the lads showed us the new track. Fucking WOW is all I have to say on the matter. 8" wide snaking singletrack which went on for ages, always gradually descending and then suddenly the plunge. Rocky, steep, switchbacked fall back onto the road. It was just fucking brilliant and I cant believe I have never known about it. I suspected there was a route up there and walked the dog loads of times but always ended up getting turned back at the fence.

From the road, me and Wors went up to Wilton Qaurries and scared ourselves stupid with some rather technical drops which again was fucking brilliant fun.

5 pints in the tap rounded off the perfect night. Fookin rough head this morning though.

7 comments:

Donk said...

I think I'll be checking out that track toot sweet, sounds fun.

lowey said...

I fucking knew YOU would be round this post like a fly round a turd. I tried to keep it vague as I want to keep it to myself, but the reference to Dean Mills was probably a dead give away.

Also the stuff through Wilton 3 Quarry, start it right on the corner of Scout. Behind the barrier.

Jason said...

Bloody ell, nowt stays secret for long!!

Donk said...

"Bloody ell, nowt stays secret for long!!"

Not when someone publically creams his pants over it and then describes the exact location on t'interweb anyway.

:-)

Jason said...

You'll have to keep your eyes peeled Donk, it's not very obvious at first.

Donk said...

got it :-) anyone cleaned the last section? that is proper tech.

lowey said...

Cleared it all till the last steep plunge, my light couldnt see the bottom so didnt know what was coming. It was probably easier riding it at night though, you cant see that far ahead. I reckon the plunge is easy cleanable without a seatpost though. Proper steep.

Good init ...